We decided after being in Harbortown Marina for 2. I feel that I have put my blog readers into a state of limbo and for this I apologize. I can honestly say part of it is the fact that the laptop I have been using and storing photos on has started working on its last breaths so my husband got me an early birthday gift of a new ipad. I do love that little sucker but as you know it doesn’t have a real keyboard and I find it difficult to type without pecking on the screen. Perhaps a keyboard attachment may be an early Christmas gift. I have not decided yet and the jury is still out. Also since I am trying to do things from multiple devices I have photos on one or two and word on one. I will get organized one day. I keep hearing that one day resounding off the inside of my head over and over again as I find new things to keep my attention elsewhere. Anyway to keep moving forward with this blog I wrote on our passage up from Cape Canaveral to Carolina Beach and it is as follows. Grant it, I have never written in this perspective but I thought it might be different to get it first hand as it happened. It would be our longest passage ever, 52 hours, and the furthest off shore, 100 miles, we have ever gone.
Harbortown Marina to Carolina Beach North Carolina
Take off from Marina, 8ish then though the lock and bridge into Cape Marina to take on Fuel. Finally got off the dock at 11.15pm. As we were leaving the marina Dirk noticed the stuffing box leaking badly. After a few moments he got it to stop. After fueling up as we are leaving the channel he notices that the alternator is not charging, Dang it….What to do? We could turn around and return to the marina or we could keep going using the generator to charge batteries. We decided to head back and Dirk was below looked it over again, then we discussed it and decided what the hell. We would change our float plan and stay close to shore just in case…. So it may take us several more hours but we are on the move. First storm hit at about 12:30 passing very quickly and bringing about 13 knots of wind. It was over before we could get all the sails down. Afterwards we decided to shut the engine down and just sail. Well that lasted about 10 minutes till the wind died. Back on came the engine and wha la, the alternator decided to start working again. Here at 1:30 we see the next round of storms coming at us. This one is probably going to be a bit more than the 1st one we had. Storm hit us about 15 minutes later after Dirk reefed the main down and let the stay sail down. We saw up to 32 knot winds and the storm is still going on.
|As we were passing through a storm|
|Cant really see if anything is coming, thank goodness for radar|
|100 miles off shore and this guy came this close.|