Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Puerto Rico

We pulled out of the marina in Samana at about 5pm in order for the winds to die down and be able to use the night lee of the island to travel in. Apparently the winds and waves forgot to lay down and we were experiencing some pretty hefty waves. I would say some were 8 footers and very confused. We were all getting tossed about and if it were just Dirk and I we would have turned back. But if we were to make it to Puerto Rico sometime this season we had to bite the bullet and move.
Doesn't look bad but it was. Tehani in the background
Everyone talks about the Mona Passage being this ominous thing and we were worried that if it were that bad now, how much worse would it get. Must say though as we got into it the seas seemed to lay down a bit as I guess the depth of the water helped. Sunrise came and it was not a bad trip at all.
Two flying fish that weren't to lucky and landed on our deck not to be found till morning.
Finally we started seeing Puerto Rico come into view as the day was beginning to prepare for sunset. s/v Jump was in the lead, then s/v Lequesteau and us. Behind was s/v's Tehani, Mythago, Lagniappe, and Glass Slipper. Lagniappe is a couple from New Orleans, so we are keeping good company. It was night by the time we got to Puerto Real and Jump and Lequesteau were already in the harbour and radioed back to us what to expect. I was on the front with a spot light as we knew there were two unlit channel markers to look for. We found the markers and slipped in the channel setting anchor. We had made it and it was 10:15 pm so we were some tired puppies. All in all it took 29 hours getting beat up part of the way but we were here and thats all that mattered.
Our trip from Luperon to Samana to Puerto Rico from our spot tracker
Tehani came in after us and the other three decided to stay outside the harbor and wait till daylight to come in. Showers and then we fell into bed for a glorious night of sleep. The next morning we awoke and saw our friends on Dea Latis sitting on the docks at the marina. We saw our friends on Tangent whom we had not seen sice the Turks and Caicos in the anchorage next to us. Lagniappe also got a slip as they had taken so much water over the bow that their vee berth needed to be hosed out. We also took a bit of water in our vee berth also from a hatch that needs to be caulked but I anticipated it and laid out a couple beach towels to catch most of it. We had the sun shades still stowed in there so the bed was pretty well protected. It was sprayed on the walls a bit so I had some cleaning to do of my own. We would be here a couple days waiting out weather so we decided to rent a car to do some provisioning. Yay, we were in the land of Wal-Marts and fast food again. Also in the land of cheap fuel but american prices. No more cheap meals but we were happy to get some Popeyes Fried Chicken. Wow, this was the first fast food we had since December and it was goooood. Of course we rented the car on a weekend so the stores were crowded. I dont do well in large crowds and by the end of the day I was truly ready to go back to my boat. The next day we took the car again and did more shopping this time hitting a Home Depot and a mall. I can honestly say I dont miss life in a city and actually wished I was back in Luperon. On the 26th everyone had laft and moved on but us. We were the only boat left in the anchorage but we would catch up to the others soon enough. They wanted to get moving. But we needed to return the rental car on Monday. After returning the car we readied the boat to leave that afternoon. It was blowing pretty hard but we felt it would ease up as the day progressed. First we needed to put some fuel in the boat so we went over to the fuel dock and filled up our water tanks with the first free water we saw since the states and fuel. After leaving the dock we continued out the channel and were heading to anchor at Cabo Rojo to stage for the next day but once we got there we decided to stick our nose out past the point and see how the winds and waves were. It wasnt as bad as what we had experienced in recent days past so we kept going, pulling in to La Parguera at sunset right between three of the boats that had left on Sunday. Gavin from Jump helped us pick up the mooring ball and we settled in for the evening. The next morning at sunrise we let go of the ball and headed over to Gilligans Island.
Ariel of Gilligans Island. Red dot is anchor spot
The others decided to keep going to Ponce and 2 of the boats that had gone to Gilligans the day before left to head to Ponce also. We had seen reviews of Ponce and decided if we could avoid it we would. Heard it was a bit of a tight anchorage, holding not so good and the yacht club not being so nice. So we went it alone and headed to Gilligans. Dave and Tanya from Dea Latis were here and they were staying while we had some winds come through. As we were getting close to the anchorge we saw border patrol stopping to check us out. Im sure they heard us on the radio with Dea Latis and checked us out to make sure we were legal, we were as when we entered we called into customs and immigration with our local boaters option number. Apparently they were doing their job which was good. We ended up sitting at Gilligans Island for two more days and spent the days checking out the island, small as it was. It had nice swim areas and a swim through you can see on the arial I have the pic of. You snorkel against the currant one way and float on the return trip down the other side. We saw a couple iguanas, one as we walked across the island and one big one when I put my hand on the mangrove roots surprised the heck out of me. He ended up being startled too and spit before running off. In the evenings we played some Mexican train with Dave and Tanya and talked about weather windows and stops. On May. The 1st we got up at 4am so we could be out of the anchorage and underway before the days winds settled in. We made it over to Caja De Muertos and tucked into a quiet little place under the lighthouse.
Red spot is where we anchored.
Our view of the lighthouse
Since we were leaving in the morning we decided not to lower the dinghy so Dave and Tanya came over and picked us up so we could do some exploring on the island. First we went to check out the little museum and checked out a swimming beach.
Dave and Dirk checking out the beach
Photo op
This little guy sat in the cactus and was not afraid at all of us.
Afterwards we took the dinghy around the island and found the trail to hike up to the lighthouse.
Look at the size of the cacti
Made it to the top
After hiking the long steep trail to the top stopping every once in a while to pull thorns out of our feet that had gone through our shoes we made it to the top only to realize the lighthouse was a bit run down and not in working order. But it did afford some nice views from the top.
Dirks photo op
View of Renegade and Dea Latis sitting at anchor
After the trek down we took a dip in the water to try and cool off before heading back to Renegade. Beautiful little island and being during the week it was very quiet. Apparently on the weekends it can get busy. It would be an early evening as we would have a 5am wakeup to make it to Salinas the next day. Later in the evening it was beginning to get pretty rolly as the ocean swells were wrapping around the island so we picked up anchor and moved to a better protected area not far on the more northern side. About daybreak we made our way out of the anchorage and towards Salinas. We heard Lagniappe and Mythago on the radio headed our way. The marina at Ponce was very rolly and was doing more damage to dock lines and cleats then they wanted so they left. The others seemed fine and stayed. Same thing Tangent had told us also. He had paid for a week of dockage only to leave 3 days later because it was tearing his boat up. As we made our way closer to Salinas there were the customs agents and police boats once again. First up behind Dea Latis, checking them out, then rolling up behind us checking us out. Once they got the ok that we were good they sped off once again. Dang, where are these border agents in the US? These guys were on it.....we pulled into Salinas harbor and were amazed at how many boats were in here. We had not seen so many boats anchored and on morring balls since the states. We drove through the anchorge and finally decided on a spot closer to the entrance. It all seemed pretty protected in here, dropped the hook and set well.
Anchorage in Salinas
We rented a car with Dave & Tanya to do a bit more provisioning. This time we drove to Ponce to a Super Wal-Mart once again making the stop at Home Depot and grabbing some Wendy's before grocery shopping. We noticed on the way that mango trees seem to grow wild here and line the roads. Right now they are ripe and just litter the roadways and the shoulders of the road with tons of mangos going to waste. We couldnt let that go unnoticed so we found a good spot to pull over and we loaded up.
Great minds trying to figure how to get some outta the tree
Dave being the tallest deployed the stick and managed to get some greener ones out of the tree
Yummmm, what a good haul and they are so sweet
Afterwards we headed back to the marina to unload grocery items. This would only be the first of two loads as I did not get any cold items nor meats yet.
And I have to put this all away?
After tossing this load in the boat we headed back to the car to visit a grocery store down the street for meats, cheeses, breads and whatever else could not be found. Even the super wal-mart does not carry certain items that I buy easily back in the states. Oh well, certain things I will have to learn to do without. Load number two was taken Back to the boat and these items had to be put away before I could do anything else. Now the real fun of provisioning begins as not only does things in boxes have to be removed, labeled logged and stowed but all the stuff already in those lockers has to be pulled out and rotated and re inventoried. Its a day long process and that process would take place tomorrow, this evening is relax time after all that work. I stowed the bags in the salon area and put what needed to be refrigerated and frozen in the appropriate locations before we hopped back in the dinghy and went back to the marina snack bar for dinner and a couple beers. Wow, what a day...so now we do what we do best, wait. Wait for weather to hop east. Next stop, St Thomas......

1 comment:

Henri Castelain said...

Nice update Nancy, fills in the blanks from the FB posts which are generally shorter. Keep having fun and looking fwd to next stops in the USVI and BVIs