Thursday, October 22, 2015

More of Grenada With Guest

We decided we wanted to a hike up to the Seven Sisters Waterfall to experience the interior of the island ourselves. We hopped on the number 1 bus and took it to St. George to pick up the bus that would drop us off in the wilderness of the rainforest. Seven Sisters is on private property so we stopped at the main building to pay our small fee to hike the trail. We picked up a walking stick as suggested by other hikers and took off down the road. We werent going to hire a guide but the guy seemed very friendly and knowledable as he led us to the starting path. We decided to hire him to continue on as he seemed like fun to have along and he said we paid him whatever we wanted to. He pointed out things we learned about on the Cutty Tour and showed us other cool things along the way. You had to hike down to the first fall and it was a nice muddy trail. We were glad that we had the walking sticks.
This is where the road begins to the trail that would take us to the falls
Pineapples growing on the side of the road
And the steep trail begins
Here we met a man with a machete, seems common place here.
Here is the first set of falls we came to. Very pretty spot.
The water was very refreshing and we all took a dip.
AJ enjoying the falls
Dirk standing under the falls and getting beat up.
Group photo

Now on up to the next set of falls
Our guide pointing out plants

We then started up to the second fall called Honeymoon falls as the pool at the bottom is shaped like a heart. It was a bit more of a challange as there was no set path and we would have never found it had we not had our guide.
Only AJ took a swim in this one as we watched on before starting our trek back which proved to be tricky in some places.
Some slick rocks here
Then it was the climb back up the steep trails we decended in the beginning. At one point we did hear the monkeys calling out for its baby and the guide tried calling back but I dont think mom was falling for it. So no monkeys today either.
Steep, muddy, and slick
Most of us are still smiles though
Once we made it back to the end of the trail the guide helped us wash the tons of mud we had on our shoes and we paid him for his time and set about waiting at the end of the road to try and catch a bus back into town. We waited and waited before one finally stopped to pick up its muddy passengers then we got to wait at the bus terminal again for a number 1 to take us back to our stop. I cant remember if it was this day or the day previous that as we were sitting in the bus some lady poked her head in and said "this is a white bus" before turning away to wait for the next one. Well the next one doesnt pull up till this one is overflowing to capacity. Some other woman told her just to get in and in the end she did get the last seat giving us glares that would set one on fire. Guess this was discrimination but I figured it was her problem not ours and we just let it go. We all went back to the marina and grabbed a shower before heading into the Tiki Bar for some well earned dinner. The Tiki Bar is associated with the marina and just about every night of the week they have something going on. Monday is 1/2 price pizza.
1/2 price pizza night
I thinks its Tuesday or Wednesday they have Bingo that is a blast. You can win good prizes such as cash and phone minutes or even live animals.
Me with one of the prizes of the evening
This was the grand prize the same evening
And there is also Dud prizes of toilet seats, curlers, plastic dolls and such. Its all good fun and if two people call bingo at the same time you must have a dance off. This was always fun to watch. On Sundays they had movie night which we attended a few times. Great new releases, many of which had chinese sub titles.
Movie night
So we tried to fit in fun evenings while the guest were here but, usually in the evenings we were too tired and went to bed early. A couple days before they were due to leave they had a children's parade due to Carnival being right around the corner. We happened to be downtown at the time and caught it.

Soon the week of having guest onboard came to an end it it was time for them to leave. Up very early to get everyone up and about and to the dinghy dock to catch the taxi we had booked.
We said our final goodbyes and then they were off, my how times flies when guest are onboard. Seems like they just got here.
Till next time.....

No comments: